Friday, March 30, 2012

I Just Don't Understand Some People

I played (if you want to call it that) at the Lucky Bridge last night. I took second in this tournament last week. This week, I went out before the end of the second round.

I had A-A. Blinds were 50-100. I raised to 400 under the gun. I got three callers. Great. The flop was K-J-3 rainbow. This looked good to me. I made it 800 to go. Jimmer goes all in for his last 1000. Some guy folds. Some other guy goes over the top and has me covered. I call for all my chips.

Jimmer has K-7 of diamonds. Really? Why would he even call my raise with that hand. And why would he go all-in with a king and a baby kicker? I thought he was a good player. I guess I was wrong about that. He had no chips left, so I he must have been gambling.

The other guy has K-J of spades so he flopped 2 pair and I didn't improve and I was gone. Now, I wish this guy was me. I would never call an under the gun raise holding K-J. Seriously, I just don't understand.

1 comment:

Phil said...

I agree with you about Jimmer's play, very weak. Also, many players just do not understand the strength an UTG raise screams. I will not call with anything other than a made hand (pair), and will re-raise only with aces or kings. That said, I would have probably played the hand the same way (calling the all in and over the top), figuring that even if there were two pair against me could still hit bigger two pair, runners for straight, etc. You didn't indicate your chip count, but sounds like you had pot odds for those draws. This hand just shows the power of position as you would have had a lot more control in late position and could evaluate the action better.

Another thing. I know how much some people value KJ but to me it is as much a trouble hand as any one gap connector. If you hit it hard, like the two pair mentioned, you have just given Q10 (another trouble spot) an open ender as well as a number of gut shot straight draws that would have called the raise.

The main thing I keep trying to tell myself is that AA or KK is just one pair and I need to fold it if the situation seems like I am beat. Take consolation in the knowledge that you probably played it as well as possible and the KJ just got lucky.