Friday, March 23, 2012

I Played Aces Wrong Again!

Last night I played the tournament at the Lucky Bridge and took second place. I felt I made good decisions throughout the tournament (except my final hand) and was fortunate enough to have some of my big hands hold up. As an example, I had K-K and Q-Q back-to back at the final table and took some huge pots and knocked two players out when both hands actually won.

When I was head's up, however, I made a bad mistake with A-A. Because there were only two of us, I was torn between raising and getting some action, so I limped. (We were fairly even in chips at that point.) The board was low and coordinated and the other player bet out at it. I should have folded my aces at that point and just "let it go".

The turn paired the board, which wasn't good either, but now I had aces and sixes, so I just went all-in. Oops. He had trip sixes. The lesson is - never let a blind hand see the flop if possible when you have pocket rockets.

I was still happy with second place (good profit for $37 buy-in), but would have liked to see if I could have taken it down. Oh well. There's always next week!

1 comment:

Phil said...

Congrats on the win....that is the tournament with like 80 players or so, right? How much did you win?

As to aces, ya got that right. I have lost sometimes when trapped by them, but often as not you turn out to be the trapped. I will always always raise with them and win a small pot rather than lose a big one.