Thursday, March 1, 2012

Checking the Nuts on the River

Yes, I'm playing again. I went to the 20,000 chip turbo (10 min. rounds) tournament last night at Jokers and took 3rd. I basically only made a $10 profit, but that's OK. I feel right again. I had one hand that I particularly enjoyed and I think I played it well.

Blinds were 200-400. I had Q-J clubs in middle position. Michele (late position) raised to 1200 and there were 3 other callers so I joined in. The flop was 9-3-10 giving me my dreaded open ender that I never hit. Everyone checked to Michele who made it 2500 to go. One other person called and I did too, figuring to jump ship if I didn't hit the turn.

The turn was my king! Bingo bango bongo!! I was amazed to hit an open ender. It always shocks me because it just doesn't happen very often. This was the nuts. There was no higher straight possible and no flush draw. I naturally checked. Michele bet 3500 and the other person folded. I pondered. I double-checked my cards. I flat called.

The river was a 6 or something. Nothing important. Now, here's where the fun began. I just KNEW that if I checked the nuts Michele would bet. I put her on A-K or two pair. I don't know how I knew it but I knew it. It felt really good to know it. I checked. She bet 5000. Putty in my hands. I had 21,000 behind and I shoved it. I was thinking about raising a small amount, but figured if she had a big hand she might call.

Michele went into the tank for about 1 minute and called with K-10 for 2 pair. Yippee! It felt so good to be right. I rarely check the nuts, but I knew she would bet. It's a great feeling.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Great play! Had a similar situation today. Loose raiser, I call with 9/10, flop open ender. I bet $10, it is raised to $30, I call. Jack on turn gives me the nuts, I bet, am raised $20, I flat call. River is a blank, I bet, he raises, I reraise, he caps. Turns over what he thought was a straight (on the dumb end), but in reality is a pair of 5's. LOL!!!