Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bluffing Pays Off . . . Eventually

I didn't cash in the Island tournament last night, but I did make the final 18 (out of 62) and had fun. One attempted bluff led to an interesting hand further down the road.

In the first hour sometime I attempted a bluff when a straight hit the river and got called by Dustin who only had 2nd or 3rd pair. He caught me! It paid off about an hour later when I had Q-9 offsuit on the button with 5 or 6 limpers ahead of me. I called hoping to hit something in position. Flop was Q-8-Q. A few people checked and then somebody bet and I just flat called. The turn was a 4 or some such card that basically meant nothing. There was no flush draw and no straight draw. The same people checked and the same person bet and I flat called again.

The river was a king. I still felt I had the best hand. Check - check - check - bet - I raised - fold - fold - then to Dustin. Dustin said out loud (with another person still in the pot) - "I may just call you because I saw you bluff before." I said nothing. He pondered. He said, "I just know you don't have a queen." I complained to the dealer that there was still another person in the pot. Dustin apologized.

After another 30 seconds or so he finally called and the original better folded. I never did see Dustin's hand, but he was pretty disgusted with either me or himself. I think he had A-8 or something like that. I was really surprised that he would say something like that out loud, but it worked to my advantage. Sometimes the bluff works - it just takes a while.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Yes, in tournaments the bluff can set up a big hand later. I need to do it more. But don't think I don't bluff....won some nice pots on stone cold ones. You really need to pick your players though. In the cash games they will call you down very light.