Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rookie Mistakes

Sometimes I do not know where my brain has gone. A couple of examples -

(1) In the deep stack tournament last Tuesday at The Island I was one of the last 18 players and had just chipped up nicely with pocket rockets when I got stuck with K-3 clubs in the big blind. There was a king on the flop and I bet out. A guy who had me covered re-raised me and I made the donkey play of going all-in. Where was my brain? I do not know. Needless to say he had a bigger king (K-9) and I was gone. This was complete and total stupidity.

(2) In the Sunday $60 tournament at the Crazy Moose I went all-in (with plenty of chips left and it was a move I did not need to make) with pocket threes after a fairly tight player raised in front of me. He had pocket queens. Needless to say, the result was the same as #1 above. Complete and total stupidity.

It is a wonder that I win anything at all. Still, I did take a split of first place and a solid 4th place over the weekend. See other post.

I am playing the deep stack again tonight at The Island. I shall NOT make any rookie mistakes and I will take no prisoners!!

1 comment:

Phil said...

i made the same mistake with a weak king at the legion. King 4 suited in big blind, bet out 3times blind with king high flop, bigger stack reraises me, i reraise all in, he has k/q. however in retrospect if i had flat called, the turn brought my four flush and i would have pushed then with the same result. Best action for me would have been check fold on the out of position top pair....