Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Never Go Broke With Ace Queen

Bad decision = unnecessary knockout. I made it to the final table again in the deep stack tournament at The Island. I was also the first one knocked out. Boo.

I had pocket cards of A-Q offsuit. Blinds were 3000-6000. I raised in early position to 18,000. The chip leader went all-in and had everyone at the table covered. When it was my turn again, I hardly hesitated before going all-in myself. The main reason I did so was because I had seen him bullying the table most of the night and going all-in with very marginal hands, such as Q-J offsuit and K-10, rightly using his chip stack, but still risking a lot. With my usual luck, he actually had a good hand this time (A-K) and it held up and I was out.

The other reason I called was because after my raise I only had 9.5 times the big blind left. Still, I should have folded A-Q in this spot and I think my plethora of readers will agree with me.

Oh, those darned decisions . . . . !

1 comment:

Phil said...

I feel for you. My situation was much worse. One of the last alternates to enter got lucky on his first hand and doubled up (sitting on my immediate right). Two players had busted out in the same seat. He limped in on the cutoff and I raised to 4000 (blinds 600-1200) with KQ offsuit. He had only played a few hands with me, and probably didn't have much read as other players pondered with big stacks and folded. He called with 6/9 offsuit! Flop was jack high with a 6, I bet 6000 (more than half my stack...yes i should have either checked or pushed), and he said something like, I think you caught air and re-raised me all-in. I put him on a jack, and figured i still had 6 outs so i called. Not only did i not catch up, he caught a 9 for two pair on the river. Super donk play...hope he was not the big stack you lost to, but it sure sounds like him.