Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Am Semi-Famous :)

I wrote an email to poker professional Susie Isaacs after reading her book "Queens Can Beat Kings". She actually wrote me back and now my email is on her blog. You should check it out. Her blog address is www.susieisaacs.blogspot.com. What a thrill! Right under it is a fun post she wrote about splitting prize money. Kids these days.

I was on such a roll, but I got sort of stupid on Tuesday. I decided to play one of those dumb free rolls they have at the Crazy Moose because you can qualify for a super satellite to play each and every tournament at the Fall Poker Roundup in Pendleton. Before the tournament, I did very well in the 3-6 game, earning $140 profit between 5:30 and 8:00. The tournament was the fiasco I thought it would be and I was out fairly early when my pocket 7s got beat by a set of 5s on the river. Ouch. None of this was too awful, but then instead of going home (as I knew I should have) I went over to the Cable Bridge to try the $2-$40 spread game for the first time at that establishment.

I played well but never really had a profit of more than $40 and I think I was a little under my initial $200 buy-in. I was just about ready to go home and decided to limp in with pocket twos. The flop was 9-3-2 with two hearts. Sweet. I was playing with Sam (young tattooed kid, very nice) and Frank (used to be "Woodstock" until the hair cut). I was first to act and I actually bet $7. Sam raised to $17. Frank re-raised to $37. Red flags should have gone up, but they didn't. I just knew I had the best hand. I put Sam on a flush draw and Frank on an over-pair. In hindsight this was wishful thinking on my part. All I did was call the re-raise.

The turn brought a blank. I checked. Sam checked. Frank bet $40. I raised to $80. Sam folded. Frank re-raised and by that time I only had $3 left and it all went in. He had a set of threes . . . cry . . . sob . . . moan . . . good-bye. I had fun though and I guess I really should have known he had a hand like this, but it surprises me that he was so aggressive with it after I re-raised him on the flop because I could easily have had a set of 9s. Oh, well. Better luck next time.

No comments: