Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Being Unlucky is NOT Fun!

I had my great roll, so I suppose I'm due for a few crappy beats, but I still do not like it one little bit.

Sunday night I had about 3200 chips with the blinds at 100-200 and the break coming up in about 5 minutes. The blinds would then be 200-400, so I would only have about 8 times the big blind. I had taken a few smaller pots and had been playing well and folding a lot. I was on the button when I saw the pocket kings - one heart and one diamond. Yippee! There was already $1100 in the pot (300 blinds and 4 limpers @ 200 each). I did not want any of them who might have an ace to call me so I made a raise to 1000, which was almost one-third of my chips.

The small blind (and massive chip leader) did the scary double-raise thing, making it 2000 to go. Everyone folded back to me. I simply went all-in. It was the right move. My woman's intuition told me I had the best hand and I was right. He groaned quite loudly when he saw my kings and he turned over pocket queens - one spade and one club. However, his tune changed when he hit running spades and knocked me out with a flush on the river. Ouch! He said, "I was hoping you had A-K". I quite honestly told him that I would never put my tournament on the line with that piece of limburger. He was appropriately chastised. :) Anyway . . . so it goes.

Last night I was absolutely card dead for one entire hour and had only entered 2 pots, once with K-J and once with K-10, which were the best cards I had seen. I had to eject both hands immediately after crummy flops. I finally had my chance when there were again 4 or 5 limpers and I looked down to see A-8 in the small blind. I had only 1200 left and it went in the middle. Everyone folded except A-5 suited in hearts and, yes, you guessed it - running hearts and I was flushed again. Good grief.

My only consolation is that I was patient and played well and went all-in with the best hand both times. There's not much else I can do except get lucky "one time"!!

1 comment:

Phil said...

You just ran into some bad luck is all...your play was fine. I just busted out of an online tournament when my all-in with AQ on a queen high flop was called by queen/6 offsuit from a big stack. Naturally, he hit his 6...... Don't despair,sh_t happens!!
I am going to Las Vegas next week for 5 days, saving all my luck for then.