Monday, June 15, 2009

Best Poker Weekend Ever - Part Two

I left the Crazy Moose and drove to Richland to play in the 12:30 p.m. deep stack tournament at Joker's. This was definitely the best that I have ever played in this tournament to date and I was absolutely crushing people left and right in the beginning. At the end of 2 hours I had almost 80,000 in chips. That was the good news. At the end of 3 hours, I had hardly any chips. I do not believe that the loss of chips was due to any terrible play on my part however, just bad luck. I also had amazing good luck later as you will see!

I made a terrific comeback in this tournament. With the blinds at 3000 and 6000, I was down to my last 8000 in chips, 6000 of which were in the blind already. I went all-in after looking at only one of my cards, which turned out to be my favorite card, the ace of spades. As in the earlier tournament at the Moose, I had about six callers, so there was about 45,000 in chips in the main pot. At the end, I turned over my ace of spades and was amazed and delighted to find the ace of diamonds right next to it! Wow! I was even more amazed and delighted to win the pot! Yessir, it's hard to keep this old girl down.

Shortly thereafter, we were down to 4 players and one of them went all in for just about all of my chips. Again, I looked down and saw pocket aces. Unbelieveable. Naturally, I called. My face dropped and the other player jumped out of his chair when a king hit the turn. My face got supremely excited and he walked away when an ace hit the river. I had such luck in this tournament - you wouldn't believe it. I had pocket aces twice and they held up both times when I desperately and absolutely needed them too. I had pocket kings SIX times and never lost with them. I was a total luck box in this tournament.

Not to pat myself on the back too much or anything, but I also think I played really well. Proof of this is the fact that I played head's up for nearly one full hour before ending up in second place. We battled so long because there was a tournament of champions seat on the line. I'm sure either one of us would have been happy to make a deal if that were not the case. The other guy (Terry somebody-or-other) simply got tired of trying to "felt" me I think because he called my final all-in with the 2-3 of diamonds and said, "It will probably take junk like this to win" and it held up when he caught a pair of twos and my ace-queen died on the vine.

I won $420 for second place. Even after deducting my buy-in and a $35 tip, I made $59 per hour. Not too shabby. The tournament lasted from 12:30 until almost 6:00, which was a new record for longest deep stack tournament at Joker's by over 30 minutes. Very cool. I decided that even though I was pretty worn out by this tournament, I would still go back to the Moose and play the 40-person final free roll. I barely had time to grab a bite at McDonald's and hit the road back to Pasco. TO BE CONTINUED . . .

No comments: