Thursday, April 5, 2012

Me vs. Joe

This interesting hand came up during the Island deepstack tournament when I was involved in a pot with Joe who is a pretty loose aggressive player. This was the 4th or 5th hand of the tournament, so blinds were only 25-50.

I was in the big blind with six limpers & not one raise in front of me. I checked my option with 6-5 suited (diamonds). Before the flop I told the guy next to me, "I shouldn't check this monster". I was only kidding.

The flop was 6-6-3 rainbow. Bingo bango bongo! I was very happy with that. Naturally, I checked. One check behind. One player bet $300. One player folded. Joe called. Another player folded.

The turn was a 5 and it also added a flush draw. Bingo bango bongo again! Naturally, I checked. The player who bet $300 now checked. He probably wasn't too happy with the 2 calls he got on the flop. Joe bet $1,000 into what was now approximately a $1,200 pot. I just called. The original bettor dropped out.

The river was an ace and I believe it made a flush, although I honestly can't remember. It didn't change my hand at all unless Joe was playing A-A or A-6 and I didn't believe that for one minute. I checked my full house. Joe bet $3,000. I raised to $6,500 and he insta-shoved. I said something out loud about him maybe playing A-6, but I just couldn't fold. I couldn't believe this was so early in the tournament. I called.

Joe proudly turned over 6-3 for the flopped full house. He simply couldn't believe my extraordinary luck of hitting the 5 on the turn. Quite frankly, I couldn't believe it either. I had no idea I was so far behind. Sometimes slow paying can really get you in trouble. Poor Joe was just mumbling and shaking his head all the way out the door.

The good news is that I doubled up early. The bad news is that I simply couldn't catch another hand at all. I went out 1 player before the final 2 tables. Phooey. I got to play for quite a while on Joe's chips though.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Yes you did get lucky, but hey, we all deserve to hit our 3 outers sometimes when we can't find our 17 outers most of the time. One question tho, was Joe in the small blind or UTG? If he was playing 6/3 suited or not UTG he deserved to go home. Small blind, not so much.

Had a hand yesterday that I would have played in the big blind, but the small blind was an idiot who was raising big nearly every hand out of position and then whining that he was missing the flops, turns, river. I told him to quit raising and betting then. The hand he raised me out of was 4/6 suited and would have made an 8 high straight flush worth $138 plus a big pot.