Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Everyone Wins With King-Jack Except Me

I hate king-jack. I don't know why anyone ever plays it. I'm dead serious when I tell you that the only time I play it is in the small or big blind with no raises in front. If anyone raises at any time, my king-jack is in the muck.

I had a bad experience two weeks ago at the Lucky Bridge when I raised 4x the big blind under the gun and K-J suited called me & flopped two pair & knocked me out of the tournament. I wrote about this previously.

Last week (again at the Lucky Bridge) I had A-K of hearts. I was in the big blind and blinds were 100-200. I raised to 700 with 6 limpers that had already called. The next guy (who had only arrived at our table the hand before & who was one of the limpers) went all-in. He had me covered by all but 800 chips or so. Everyone else folded. I knew nothing about this guy but I thought he was making a move so I called. He was. But he had the dreaded K-J. He turned a straight. I was out on the very next hand after going all in with A-J (another of my least favorite hands).

I can probably understand the play of my opponents in both these hands. In the first instance, the raise I made wasn't that much & the K-J had another caller in front of him, so he had (barely) odds to call & he did flop a monster.

In the second instance, the guy was making a move & if I hadn't had a pretty good hand myself, I would have folded & perhaps I should have anyway, but oh well. It worked out well for him.

I am sticking to my guns, however. K-J is garbage most of the time & you won't catch me making these stupid calls & moves with that hand. Having said that, it's all about the timing right? Who knows what might happen next time.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Wow, could not have said it better. I got nearly knocked out by someone re-raising my AQ with his KJ all in...I had him covered, but he hit his jack. I agree it is a crap hand and everyone wins with it, except me. It is like 20th on starting hand strength, behind every pocket pair (coin flip on lots of them), AK, AQ, AJ, KQ. Most of these hands it is a dominated hand which is a 3/1 dog, and even those it is ahead of (K/10 10/J, Q/10 etc.) it is a 3/1 favorite but a problem if they hit the hand hard given draws. Also, about the same odds against suited connectors too. In general, not that strong yet I see lots of preflop raises both in tournaments and cash games. Go figure.