Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Winning Ain't So Bad Either!

Last Monday (April 6) I placed 2nd in the $15 tournament at the Cable Bridge. Last night I won it. Yeah! I will tell you that I was what the poker community refers to as a "luck box". I was hitting cards on the river like crazy. For the first time in at least a month I actually hit an open-ended straight draw. I had K-10 with 8-9-J on the flop. The queen hit on the turn and I had the nuts!! Two people with tens called me and I ended up with a monster pot on that hand that took me all the way to the final table. It was an all-female head's up battle, but I finally put the other girl (Elsa?) all-in with my pocket sevens. (Everyone knows how I love sevens.) She was very short-stacked at that point and called with Q-5. She hit her five but that was all.

After this tournament, however, I am seriously beginning to wonder if I have any skill at all or if I'm just the luckiest woman on the planet. Who knows? It's fun anyway. Turning $15 into over $300 is always a good thing. Just like professional poker player Freddy Deeb, I shall start telling my family that I am an "investor". Ha!

1 comment:

Phil said...

Hi Lynne,
Congrats on your win. And, good luck at Wildhorse. I played the limit tournament a few years ago, and got busted when a luckbox caught a full house on the river after 2 of us had a straight on the turn. I really like the limit thing, but you have to chip up early or it gets ugly. No luck on the step tournaments, just back up to step 3 last night. A guy I know here on the coast played step 10, but couldn't get "in the money". I will keep trying tho...