Tuesday, March 3, 2009

This Can't Possibly Last

Wow. I don't have any clue what I'm doing right, or maybe it's all just sheer luck, but I have now cashed in five of my last six tournaments. That's an 83 percent winning percentage. Crazy! Four of the five have been 3-way splits of first place. The last one was a fifth place finish at the Cable Bridge and was only an actual net profit of $20, but it still counts. I was probably happier with this one than some of the others because I never play at the Cable and am not familiar with how everyone plays. It was terribly loud in there (Friday night) and I almost made one huge mistake because I couldn't hear and I thought a player was all-in when he wasn't and I turned my cards face up. As it was, all I got was a warning and I checked the flop and lost no more money, but I did lose a few unnecessary chips on that one. I would not have called an all-in with the cards I was holding with his chip stack because I would have been the one all-in. Oh, well. It worked out. At the Moose, I'm pretty sure my hand would have been called dead and I wouldn't have seen a flop at all. Ultimately, it is up to the player to know what is going on and I admit that it was totally my fault. Being aware of every action at all times is so important in poker. I wish more players realized that.

Naturally, after my winning ways, I was feeling frisky and wanted to play live, but first I went to do my laundry and left one-half of my money at home while I was at it so I wouldn't spend it. Good thing, too. My luck at live is simply atrocious lately and I really think I just need to stick to a $50 limit - for a while anyway.

Pet peeve: players who are annoying and dealers who do nothing about it. Case in point: last weekend I was playing in the 4-8 game and one of the players ALWAYS flung his chips onto the table so that most of the time one or two of them rolled away and/or splashed the pot. On the one hand, it turned out to be a little bit of a tell as to how hard he threw the chips when he did this, but on the other hand it was very annoying most of the time and it was commented on by other players on at least three occasions and the dealer(s) said nothing. Luckily, he went broke early. He was getting on my last poker nerve!

1 comment:

Phil said...

Wow! You really are on a roll. Wish I could say the same, but I do think I am playing well, just getting "cold decked" most of the time. Finally won last night at the Moose in the cash game...got stuck $100 immediately, then recovered to win $100. I agree with you on the annoying players, and yes, according to Caro splashing the pot like that is a definite tell. He says that "directed" bets, in other words, bets thrown toward a player are definite tells...shows strength, so they are weak.