Friday, March 20, 2009

Cheap Tournaments Part 2

My friend Dr. Phil brought up some good points about cheap tournaments, including the fact that quantity isn't as important as quality, and the fact that more players are apt to gamble in cheap tournaments.

I thought about his input for quite a while and came to the conclusion that he is right and he is wrong. I think one of the most important things about playing poker is learning to "read" all types of players. This includes the ones that don't know what they're doing, the ones that will gamble with anything because "it only cost $15", and the good players.

With no offense to Dr. Phil, I firmly believe that if we stick to only "quality" tournaments or higher buy-ins, we are missing a lot of important learning experiences. At the same time, I still believe he has some very valid points and his input will just make me all that more careful if I do play in "cheap" tournaments. Thanks, Phil!

No comments: