Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cheap Tournaments

I have discovered two super cheap tournaments at the Cable Bridge. One is on Mondays at 7:00 for $15 and the other is on Tuesdays at 7:00 for only $11. What a deal! Both tournaments start with 2,000 chips. Monday has 15-minute blinds and Tuesday has 10-minute blinds, which I absolutely HATE, so I probably won't participate in that one too often, but both tournaments have a $600 guarantee.

Last Monday's first place prize was $312, 2nd place was $200+ and 3rd was $112, which is almost 10 times the buy-in. This is not bad for a $15 tournament. If you take 3rd, deduct the buy-in and 10% tip, you can still make almost six times the buy-in - a fairly good investment. I went out before the final table, but I just got unlucky with the best hand.

I still like $15 tournaments better than free tournaments because even a little bit of an investment makes me play better - ha! I also like the fact that there are always one or two people at my table who have no clue what they are doing and sometimes I can get LOTS of chips from them. This happened to me three times last week. Anyway, I am on a super-cheap poker budget this year, as I want to save money for the Worlds Series of Poker and/or a poker cruise to Alaska next year, so these cheap tournaments might be the way to go! Any profit can be saved for my Las Vegas and/or Alaskan excursions. Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Phil said...

Lynne, I agree that the small buy in's pay well as a proportion of the total, and when there is cash added even better. That said, I really hate those tournaments. The rookie players make it very....random. Also, the small buyin encourages the "gambling" element vs. the "good poker" vibe. My favorite tournaments are those that are as high a buy in as possible (and lots of chips, slow blinds). This draws the good players (you know who they are). These players will actually lay down their rags to a real raise, lay down top pair when its obvious you have a set, two pair, overpair,etc. That is versus the donkey calls that always seem to get lucky and bust you. I think it is all about the quality of play rather than the quantity (play in one $60 buy-in vs 4 $15 ones. Anyway, that said, I play a lot of low buy in tournaments on-line, but like the really large ones cause the 1st place is lots more than with just a few players