Monday, December 8, 2008

I Need a Little Break

Things have not been going all that well lately. I can't seem to hit in live games or in tournaments. I have a poker budget and I am out of money until the 15th. This might be a good thing because I am getting frustrated and annoyed and when that happens, it's probably not a good idea to play at all.

Example: Friday night. I decide to play live for awhile instead of just going home and resting up for the Saturday tournament. My budget is such by this point in time that I only have $200 for the weekend. I blow $100 of it Friday night. Blah! I flop two pair & get beat by bigger two pair. I flop a set and someone has a bigger set or rivers a boat. Good grief. It is downright ugly. Finally, I'm down to my last $12 and I decide to just go all in with pocket 8s in a kill pot (3-6 game, so now it's 6-12). I end up with 8s full of 10s and a guy with J-10 gets a jack on the river for jacks full of 10s. OK. That's enough. No rebuy for me.

I still have $100 of my poker budget left, so I go home & come back again for the $40 tournament on Saturday morning. Again, I have atrocious luck, getting beat about three times on the river. Frustration finally sets in and I go all-in with A8 offsuit in the cut-off with only the blinds to beat. I get called (believe it or not) by A9 offsuit and that's the end of that. I decide not to play any more this week.

However, by Sunday afternoon, I am totally bored, having completed all my weekend chores, etc. I take my final $60 down to the Moose and last approximately 45 minutes, getting killed consistently when I have the best hand until the damned river. My last hand was A7 (the blinds were coming and I only had $6 left so I went all-in). I flopped 2 pair and got rivered by a straight. I am beginning to feel like my buddy Phil!

So, long story short, I think I will take a break until payday. I don't want to go over my budget anyway. I'm really trying to work on that because if I let myself do so, I will spend money that I shouldn't spend and that's not good. So, I will take a one-week break and try not to even think about poker for that entire time. Now that I have this all off my chest as it were, I shouldn't have a problem. When I play my next tournament on December 20, watch out! It will be a new me!!

1 comment:

Phil said...

Man, do I ever feel your pain!!! The whole weekend plus today were just like yours. EG drew out on me twice (once when he had nothing on the flop, not a pair, not an overcard, not a draw). He went runner runner 9's on the turn and river to make....trip 9's with a 7 kicker to beat my aces up. Sick. The moose can really be a joke, though I have been taking my share of beats at the Bridge too. Keep a stiff upper lip and luck will favor you eventually.