Monday, December 1, 2008

I CAN'T PLAY POCKET JACKS

I do not think I can play pocket jacks. Is it ever possible to play these correctly? I was playing the Saturday tournament and a tight player raised to 3 times the big blind. I looked down to find pocket jacks. Because he was a tight player, I simply called. I think my only other option was to go all-in. I don't think I would ever fold at that point unless it was strategically good to do so - for example, having two players all-in before me and I could move up in the money or something like that. Anyway, we were the only two players to see the flop.

The flop was 7-8-2 rainbow. Therefore, I'm feeling pretty good about my jacks at that point. Tight player bets about three-fourths of the pot. Again, like a little wussy girl I simply call. In hindsight, it was good that I did so. On the turn - another 7. Tight player moves all-in. I am frustrated. I don't know where I am in the hand. I have him covered, but that's not the point. I'm not sure what to do. He could have A-K, A-Q, AA, KK, QQ, of which AA, KK and QQ beat me. He's a tight player. I do not put him on a 7 or pocket sevens. I don't know why I don't put him on those hands. Just a feeling. I take forever and then call. He has the dreaded QQ. Damn it!!

I am not knocked out, but again I feel I played the jacks incorrectly. Being the tight player that he is, would he have folded to an all-in raise from me before the flop? Would he have done the same on the flop? I'm thinking I was beaten from the get-go on this one. I think I'll just fold these puppies from now on.

1 comment:

Phil said...

No, No, NO!!! Don't fold pocket jacks!!!! Lynne, I think the problem you had on this hand was being too passive. You have the 4th or 5th best starting hand in poker, and you failed to find out where you were, either on the flop or on the turn. A re-raise in either spot could have saved you money in the long run. That said, with no overcards on the flop you really only have 3 hands that really worry you. Since the player was tight, as re-raise on the flop would have either gotten him out or he would have re-raised all-in, in which case you can probably fold.