Friday, September 4, 2009

Slow Playing and Fast Playing - Both to the Death!

My lack of luck and/or skill over the last couple of weeks finally got me pretty annoyed at the Cable Bridge tournament last night.

My first mistake (but not last) was limping in with a pair of threes on the button. Then on a board of 3-4-5 I got really stupid and decided to slow play them (with possible straight on board), just calling the player to my immediate left. He bet again on the turn (200) which was an 8. I raised to 600. He just called. I threw 1,000 out on the river and he called me with pocket 8s for a bigger set. OUCH! Thank God I didn't go all in on the river.

I only had about 900 left after the slow play fiasco and just waited patiently for a good hand that I could fast play. I looked down on the button (of all places) and had 2 black queens and went all-in. Got called by Val with A-K. He flopped 2 pair and rivered a full house. It was home for me. The only good thing about either of my opponents beating me was that they probably would have done so in any case. The first guy wasn't going anywhere if I pushed harder on the flop because he had an overpair to the board. I do not think Val would have gone anywhere either even if I had more chips before the flop.

I guess it's OK when you can make mistakes and analyze them too! Ha! I just hope my luck or skill gets a teeny bit better before my defense of the Tournament of Champions on Sunday.

1 comment:

Phil said...

tough situations, you probably did as well with both of them as anyone could have. i have been running great this week until yesterday when i got majorly roughed up in the 2/20 game. flopped a set of 4's and dave turned a straight, lost $120 in one hand. last night was awful, no pot uncapped preflop with the luckiest people on earth (not exagerating)catching whatever they needed.