Wednesday, September 23, 2009

FRUSTRATION!!

I am really getting tired of it. The last three tournaments I played in I got knocked out holding pocket kings, pocket queens and pocket aces, respectively. Good grief. Naturally I had the best hand all three times.

I just do not understand it. As an example of how all these hands were played, I will describe last night. I had just won a hand with pocket kings (miracle of miracles) and was immediately dealt pocket aces right afterward. I was still short on chips and decided I was going all in with it.

A young guy I had never played with before raised to 150 UNDER THE GUN. I figured he must have a pretty darned good hand to raise in that position. Nonetheless, I was unafraid. I reraised to 600. Everyone folded and he insta-called. The flop was 9-10-10. I knew he could have a ten in his hand (especially after he checked) but I just couldn't believe it. I made the mistake of putting the way I would have played on him. I would have folded everything with a ten except pocket 10s to a 450 reraise. I pushed. He called. He had (believe it or not) the Q-10 of diamonds.

How oh how do I win against idiots like this? Under the gun with a Q-10 . . . insta-calling with a Q-10 and beating my aces with it. Yuck!!! This is sick.

1 comment:

Phil said...

This is a tragic turn of events. My only comment is that I would have re-raised all-in vs. a re-raise in that situation. You want to go heads up against his possible kings?? under the gun. His call of an all-in re-raise would clearly be a horrible call, but not knowing chip stacks I would still make the play as you want to get all your money in with the best hand preflop every time if you don't have enough chips to either bluff, continuation bet, or fold to his big bet post flop.