Friday, May 29, 2009

I Should Listen to my Woman's Intuition

I was thinking about a hand I was involved in during last Saturday's tournament at Joker's. I had K-10 offsuit and there were no raises before the flop. The blinds were 100-200. The flop was 7-2-10 with 2 hearts. I was first to act and had top pair with 2nd kicker. I bet 400 to see where I was at and I found out in a hurry exactly where I was at.

The next player (don't know his name) raised to 1200. Gary raised to 2400. Good grief! My little invisible poker demon whispered in my ear that someone had two pair and someone else had a set. My woman's intuition told me to call. I thought about this for a good 60 seconds and folded my hand, even though my intuition was screaming at me to call. AT THE TIME it was the correct fold because, as I found out later, player #1 had flopped a set of sevens and Gary had my favorite garbage hand in the blind (7-2) and had flopped two pair.

Anyway, player #1 called Gary's reraise. The turn was another 10. I sat placidly fuming, but at the same time I knew that if someone had a set of sevens they now had a full house. The turn was a king. Inside I almost jumped through the roof. Outside I sat fuming again. I absolutely could not believe this amazing runner-runner that would have won me a HUGE pot. It was very difficult for me to remember my favorite saying - if you're not folding winners, you're not playing right - because I was just really upset with myself for not listening to my intuition. Yikes!

Pro player and author Susie Isaacs says that woman's intuition is definitely worth listening too and I am beginning to believe her. This is NOT the first time by a long shot that this has happened to me. Oh well.

1 comment:

Phil said...

For starters, I really, really, really hate K/10 suited or not. That is the hand I went out with at the big moose tournament (called out of big blind for a pittance more with A/9). You absolutely did the right thing given the action, and you were way, way behind. You will not win many tournaments if you put a lot of chips in on runner runner scenarios. (That said, as we speak I just busted out of a tournament online with K/J suited (flopped four flush, with gut shot straight, then rivered a king...too bad the bettor had flopped a set of 9's!!!). Oh well. How did the tournament turn out for you? I am headed back to tricities tomorrow, so maybe I will see you this weekend. :)