Monday, February 2, 2009

I am the WORST player in the world!

Well, I really got stupid on Sunday at the Moose. I had just flopped quad queens to take a player out and was feeling really good right before I got super stupid. I raised with AJ offsuit and Gary (to my immediate left) raised another $1,000. I had a pretty good stack at that time, so I went ahead and called, even though (in hindsight) it was a BAD mistake. I could easily have folded and kept going with my good feelings and good chip stack. However, the $1,000 raise wasn't that much in relation to my original bet and I didn't feel he had a huge hand, probably AK or AQ. My second mistake was insisting that he still had AK or AQ even after the flop.

The flop was J-5-6, so I flopped top pair with top kicker and quite honestly I felt pretty good about it. However, I went ahead and checked it to see what Gary would do. He immediately pushed all-in. I mean, it was fast! That was another reason that I didn't put him on an over-pair. The quickness of his all-in led me to believe that he was planning to do it no matter what came on the flop. As my one witness (Hi Phil) will attest, I waited quite a while before calling. Gary had aces and I was screwed and down to only 1100 in chips. Ouch. I sure wish I'd had a pair of fives or sixes. Wouldn't that have been fun? Oh, yes.

Then my last stupid mistake was pushing all-in with AJ hearts after a raise. I could have folded that one too. AJ was not my hand on Sunday. I had another round of the table to look at and may have found a much better hand, but I think I let the big loss get to me even though I tried really hard not to let it bother me. Sometimes it's just impossible. I think maybe if I ever see another jack, I'll just fold it, no matter what the other card is. Ha!

1 comment:

Phil said...

O.K. Lynne, you are not the worst player in the world, however as a witness to the hand and "playing the player", Gary is not known for huge bluffs, he usually has the goods. His reraise preflop should have been a huge red flag for you. Sitting where I was, I really put him on a big hand or a solid hit on the flop like pocket jacks, queens, kings, or aces. I think that you tried to narrow him down too much to AK or AQ. He would not reraise with either hand, but wait for the flop, since he also had position on you. I think the best play for you would have been a re-re-raise to find out where you were, or to just fold it either preflop or after you checked and he went all in. It was too much money to risk that early in the tournament with the chip stack you enjoyed. I do not like to go all in with only top pair ,though I did end up doing so with Gary later with KQ on a preflop raise by him (he had AQ), when the board came king high. He called me, with lots to spare, and my kings held up. In retrospect, it was a fairly dumb move, but I could beat about every hand except for AA, KK, or AK, and I didn't sense that he had any of those hands. One comment about AJ. It is a very bad hand a lot of the time as you are often looking at bigger hands. Suited it is much better, but still....