Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Beer for Breakfast

This is something I never ever do. I went to the Moose last Saturday for the 8:00 a.m. tournament. I like to go early and eat breakfast. When I walked in, T.J. and Bryan (two poker dealers) were sitting at a table drinking red beer. They said, "7 Dewey - Come have a beer for breakfast!" I declined at first, but they quickly talked me into it. I do like red beer, although I rarely drink anymore.

I enjoyed one and one-half glasses of red beer before the tournament and had breakfast with it (French toast), so I wasn't too terribly buzzed, but I was feeling OK! I proceeded to drink about two more red beers during the tournament because T.J. and Bryan were still buying and they kept refilling my glass - those bad boys! Anyway, I don't know if it was the beer relaxing me or what, but I did very well in the tournment. T.J., Hector (another dealer) and I ended up splitting 1st-2nd-3rd place money. There was no deal to give 4th place their money back because one of us (I forget who right now) took out two players at once, so it ended up just being us three! We each got $310 for a $40 buy-in. Sweet!

Then, (with one more beer) I went on to play the $25 tournament for an entry into the $220 Sunday tournament on February 22. I won that too! Yippee! The tournament will cost me $50 actually because I played last week also, but $50 is much better than $220, right? Right! Also, I feel really good about my head's up play. It was against Niles. When we got head's up, he had at least a 3 to 1 chip advantage on me. I chipped away at it until he had about 20,000 and I had about 14,000. He moved all-in with A-8 offsuit. I looked down to find A-Q clubs so I called and my hand held up. I then had a good chip lead on him. About 3 hands later I simply called with AA and he flopped an open-end straight draw and moved all-in. My aces held up and I won a seat! J.T. and Holly were outside smoking and told me later that Niles came storming out of the building in a huff, went to his car and burned rubber leaving the parking lot. Ho! The best hand held up - what did he expect?

Anyway, by that time, T.J. and Bryan had gone home, so no more free beer for me. I like to think I would have played the same way and/or had the same luck with or without the beer. I played a little live and also hit quad 10s for $184. It was a very good day.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Good work on the tournaments! Sounds like you were playing good and tight (as in drinking, tight). LOL. Niles is a big baby, boo-hoo.

I won't be in town for the big tournament, best of luck on that one. My UB step tournament is stalled at level 5 (normally a 30 dollar buy-in). My mouse froze up at a critical part late in tournament with 4 players left (I was 3rd). By the time I fixed the problem, re-booting, etc. I was gone in 4th place. Only good for a rebuy in step 5, so I didn't lose any ground. Also am working up a second ladder and am at step 4 as a backup plan. Man, I really want that seat at the WSOP, but it is getting much tougher the higher I get, not like the 1st hand all in's at the 10 cent level.