Thursday, July 12, 2012

Why Am I So Stupid?

I've been talking to myself about the deepstack at the Island for two days now.  The final table started discussing a chop at 9 players.  There was $2352 in the prize pool so that would only be $261, but since I walked away with nothing, it seems pretty good now.  Duh.

When we got down to 8 players I had a medium chip stack and the 8-way chop was $294 which was still $178 less than third place (which is the last place they were officially paying) so I did not agree.  I think there was one other player who also didn't want to do it.  Besides, it wasn't even 11 pm.  Sheesh.

So about 2 hands later, everyone folds to me in the small blind.  My stack had dwindled a bit, but I still got stupid and shoved all-in with A-9 offsuit even though I didn't need to.  The big blind woke up with kings and knocked me out.  My action was supremely stupid because (1) I could have simply raised and folded when he shoved all-in (we were exactly even in chips & he told me he would have shoved); (2) there were at least two people at the table with smaller chip stacks than me who may have gone out before me and then the chop would be more lucrative; and (3) I would be on the button the next hand and have a whole bunch of (hopefully) better cards than A-9 to shove with.

It's official.  I'm a total moron.  I'm sure they started discussing the chop again immediately ($336 for 7 ways).  I should have waited.  I might have agreed to a 6-way split for $392 and definitely a 5-way split for $470 because that was super close to 3rd place money.  I must pay more attention and THINK. 

1 comment:

Phil said...

Yes, you officially played bad. It is always a mistake to shove when a simple raise will either accomplish the same thing (a fold) or allow you to get off cheap. Also, I think that chopping with 8 or 9 is not a great idea, so am with you on waiting.

Haven't played much lately so nothing to report. My online experience is that I keep getting hammered with hands that I dominate. Examples: I have AK, they have A/7, they hit their 7. It is getting eerie. Playing tonight in the Legion tournament and running really good online, so that is a good sign. Actually won a 5 handed tournament today only losing one hand the entire tourney. How? Knocked all but one player out on the first hand. Last player sat out so I blinded him out except for one hand. Also, hit royal flush (with KK). My 5th one ever.