Monday, February 13, 2012

Hal Had My Number

I was bombarded twice by aggressive Hal in 2 different tournaments. On Friday at Jokers I had doubled my starting chip stack of 10,000 to just over 21,000 by the first break. Blinds were 200-400. On the 2nd or 3rd hand after the break, I raised to 1200 with the dreaded A-K. I was under the gun and probably over-played it as per usual. Anyway, I got about 3 callers including Hal who was in the big blind and only had to call 800. With 3 callers in front of him, it probably wasn't a bad call.

The flop was K-10-3 all diamonds. I had the king of hearts and the ace of diamonds. Top pair - top kicker - nut flush draw. I thought this was a beautiful flop. I bet about 2500. Everyone folded except Hal who pushed all-in. I made the big mistake of insta-calling. He tabled Q-8 of diamonds and already had a flush. Great googly moogly. Thinking about the hand later I realized I need to stop insta-calling and start thinking. I may have been able to lay the hand down, but I kinda doubt it. I was severely short-stacked then and was knocked out shortly thereafter. Hal went on to win the tournament.

On Saturday morning at the Moose I didn't even make it to the first break and Hal took me out. I had A-Q of hearts and he had 8-8 (both black). Being short stacked, I shoved pre-flop and he called me. The flop was beautiful with 2 hearts and no 8 so I had 2 overcards and the nut flush draw, none of which hit and I was out. Phooey. I may stay away from Hal for awhile - LOL.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Is this the Hal married to Donna?