Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why Can't I Win This Tournament?

I'm not complaining . . . maybe a little. I took second place (for the second time) in Steve Stark's home game gone wild last Sunday. I have been the donkey once and I've taken 3rd or 4th once (can't remember which), but I can't seem to win. I really want my name on that damn wall!

As always, it was a fun tournament. I had a crazy little hand where Paul came in to deal and we were just talking about how he had given me some big pots recently with his favorite hand (J-9) and at the same time I looked down at my cards and had J-9. Go figure.

The blinds were 50-100. There were no raises and I was in the cut-off. Yippee. I raised to 400 just because I thought it was a good omen that we'd just been talking about the hand. Isn't that silly? Nonetheless, I got one caller and the flop gave me a gut shot straight draw needing an 8. The other player checked and I bet about half his stack (700). He called. Oops.

The turn was an 8. I couldn't believe it. He went all-in. Yippee again! I was so pleased to turn over my J-9 and Paul just smiled. The other player naturally wasn't too happy, but I've noticed that nobody ever seems to get too upset with anything in this tournament. It truly is just for fun and that's definitely what it is. Also, for 2nd place I got a nifty little pocket poker odds calculator with games on it to boot. Gotta love those prizes!

1 comment:

Phil said...

Glad to hear you got in the money in Steve's tournament. I really wanted to play but had other committments. Read my blog today about my gutshot draw.