Friday, October 22, 2010

Writing Because It's Been Awhile

I have been quite lax in blogging lately, but such is life. I was thinking about getting knocked out of the tournament for the seats to first annual Washington Gold tournament on the west side.

In the qualifying tournament I ended up making the final 10 so that I could move on to the final qualifier the next day. Barely. I was very short stacked, hadn't been feeling well at all for over a week (was just finally getting over the flu) and there were still 12 players left. I knew I had to do something quickly because I would be in the big blind in about 4 hands and I just wanted to go home to take a nap. However, I had to fold my hand pre-flop as it was something totally disgusting like Q2 or whatever and wasn't even paying attention when 2 people got knocked out simultaneously on the other table and I was a finalist! I only had 12,000 chips. The final tournament would start with blinds of 500-1,000. At least the nap was in order.

I almost just gave up and slept in because I really wanted to get over the flu bug, but I forced myself to get up and go to the final even though I did not stand a chance. Yeah, yeah, I know - a chip and a chair. Give me a break.

On the very first hand Amanda (under the gun) raised to 4,000. I looked down to see pocket 8s. Why me? If I re-raise, I need to raise at least 3 times what she raised or all my chips. She was under the gun and must have a really good hand. What to do. This might be the only pocket pair I ever see and I am short-stacked. I push all-in. Everyone else folds. Amanda turns over AQ diamonds. At least I am ahead. The flop is K-9-3 with 2 diamonds. Now Amanda is the favorite with her outs of any A, any Q or any diamond. Help! The turn and river are blanks and I survive!! Happy girl! (Side note - Amanda is really annoyed by all this and plays fairly badly thereafter and is out before the first break.)

I was very happy to have doubled up and I played fairly well from then on out, making it through the break and everything. By the time we got down to 11 players, however, I really hadn't had many hands and my chips were basically slipping away. With blinds at 3,000-6,000 I only had 37,000 remaining or just over 6 times the big blind. Not good.

A lady raised (under the gun again) to 10,000. Everyone folded to me on the button. I had pocket 9s. What the hell. This was it. I went all-in and she called immediately. Not good. She turns over AK spades and again it is a race. No spades on the flop. Nothing on the turn. Ace on the river. CRAP!!!!!!

I do not really know why, but I was just heartsick. I calmly said, "nice hand" and quietly walked away. Should I have just called and then shoved when the board flopped? I think she would have called me anyway. But I was just so bummed. There was about 80,000 in the pot. I still wouldn't have had a ton of chips, but I just know I would have made top 5 and been able to go to Renton. PHOOEY!!!!!

I am done venting now. But it took me a long time to write about this and I haven't really played much since. I am busy moving and working on a new budget, so might not play much for awhile, but will try. Hope all my millions of fans (ha ha) don't miss me too much. See you soon!!

2 comments:

Phil said...

That sounds like a bad beat for sure, but typical of the play, and deepstacks will always call you with AK. I think your mistake was coming over the top with the all in. With 9's you are probably ahead, but definitely in a coin flip situation. I personally like the smooth call of the raise and shove with any flop that does not contain a king or an ace. She would be much harder pressed to make that call with two overcards as she should now realize that you have a pair. With 27,000 and a 20,000 plus pot, you could conceivably even put out a min bet that looks like a value bet. You could then shove on the turn when she called, as she probably would, and failed to connect there. Any way you cut it, you went in with the best hand and that is the way it goes. I am learning to be much, much more cautious with medium pairs JJ or less as you are nearly always in a coin flip situation or worse. Are you playing at Wildhorse? I am planning to play 3 or 4 events.

Anonymous said...

It has now officially been a while since your last post. Given up poker?