Thursday, May 27, 2010

Dr. Phil, I Feel Your Pain!

My friend Dr. Phil has been having tough going online lately. Perhaps my little tale of woe will lighten his mood a bit.

I was playing in the $35 deep stack turbo (10-minute blinds, 20,000 chips) at Jokers last night and proceeding nicely, but still had only my original starting stack after the first break.

Shortly after the break, with blinds of 500-1000, SIX people decided to limp in on my big blind. This is unacceptable when I have pocket sevens. I decided that I had the best hand and pushed all my chips into the middle. Everyone folded except Dave on the button who insta-called me with A-K. Drat. Naturally, he flopped an ace and I was finished.

However, I still think I made the right play. I also do not know how Dave insta-called me there unless he thought I was just making a move to pick up all the dead money. I'll never know because I didn't even get the chance to open my mouth to tell him I had a pair before he called me. Ouch.

Poker is fun . . . poker is fun . . . poker is fun . . . repeat endlessly until pain is gone.

1 comment:

Phil said...

To me the ace king is a drawing hand, but it is the best drawing hand since it is a coin flip with any pair except aces or kings, and way ahead of any other two cards. If you had made that play on my table I would have folded given the stack sizes. It is just too much to risk for a coin flip. I see lots of people who overvalue ace/x, especially suited. I will shove with it, particularly short stacked, but will seldom call with it, unless i know the player's tendencies very very well.

Hope you have a nice Memorial Day, I will probably see you soon, headed to tricities on Sunday.