Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Trouble With Traps

My downfall in two recent tournaments was not being able to see a trap. Both times, the players limped into a multi-way pot with pocket aces and trapped me good when I flopped top pair with top kicker. I think these traps were difficult for me to see because I personally would not limp with aces in that situation and I do not understand how other players can do so. In both of these instances, it worked out for them, but in the long run, why would you want to pit your aces against more than one or two opponents?

I guess I should be happy that they play that way because eventually it will come back to bite them in the you-know-what. I cannot say that I have never limped with aces, but the situation has to be perfect. Just the other night I had them on the button and it was just me and the two blinds, so that wasn't so bad. Even then there was a flop of 10-10-4 and it scared me that one of the blinds might have a 10, which luckily they didn't and I did win the pot, but it wasn't very big. Oh, well. As Stu Unger used to say, with aces it's always better to win a small pot than lose a big one.

1 comment:

Phil said...

You got that right, sister. I have been snapped many times even when I raise to "take the trash out". Tony got me Saturday with pocket 2's, and Randy got snapped by 8/3 offsuit. I won a small pot when I reraised a $7 raise to $27, and everyone folded...o.k. with me.
I am not a good trapper, cause too often, you are the trapee.